Pho - Vietnamese Soup

Pho - Vietnamese Soup
One of our favorite dishes - Pho

Monday, March 15, 2010

Fried Macaroni and Cheese





I know, I know...this seems so sinful and wrong, but leftover mac and cheese doesn't taste quite as good the second time around, unless of course, it's fried. :) I tried this on the family today for the first time and it was a hit. We all agreed this needs to be the next fried item featured at the State Fair of Texas. I promise we don't always eat this way. This recipe sounded too intriguing to pass up.

Tomorrow in honor of St. Patty's Day I will include a beef stew recipe. Also, my Aunt Bette e-mailed me a yummy crab dip recipe today that I will post in a bit and I can't wait to try.

Fried Macaroni and Cheese

Leftover baked macaroni and cheese, refrigerated for at least overnight
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 egg beaten with 2 ounces water
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Oil for deep frying, preheated to 375 degrees

Cut refrigerated macaroni and cheese into slices or bite size pieces. Season the flour with salt, pepper and cayenne. Dredge each piece through the flour and gently tap off excess. Dip in the egg wash and then coat with the bread crumbs. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes so the crust can set. Very carefully drop into the oil and fry until golden brown. Remove to a baking sheet fitted with a rack and rest for 2 minutes before serving.


1 comment:

  1. This was, by far, the BEST fried macaroni I've ever had in my life~! Ok...I'll admit it's the ONLY fried macaroni I've ever had in my life, but even if I had eaten it before...this would be the BEST! If you could get this into the State Fair, it would be huge hit!

    ReplyDelete