Pho - Vietnamese Soup

Pho - Vietnamese Soup
One of our favorite dishes - Pho

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ninfa's Green Sauce


Here's another classic recipe I came across in Lisa Fain's "The Homesick Texan's" cookbook.  I used to eat at Ninfa's all the time when I worked close to one of their Dallas locations way back when.  I especially enjoyed their green sauce and their tacos al carbon is another favorite, which that recipe I've also found in "The Homesick Texan's" cookbook.  So, you can count on me cooking that up soon and blogging all about it as well.  Lisa and I have very similar tastes in the food we enjoy.  I've thoroughly enjoyed her new cookbook and I've said it before, her book would be a wonderful Christmas gift for the foodie in your life.



3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream

Method:
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.

Makes 4 to 5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment