Pho - Vietnamese Soup

Pho - Vietnamese Soup
One of our favorite dishes - Pho

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Kale Salad












Happy New Year to all of my fellow foodies!!!  I know it is such an understatement to even say this, but we are all so very relieved to finally put 2020 behind us.  It was a quiet New Years for David and me....and as a good friend so eloquently said, "Awwww gone are the good 'ol days when we used to stay home New Years Eve because we're old and tired."   We plan on doing it up next year to make up for all the lost time with loved ones.  I wish you all the very best for 2021 and a delicious one at that!!!!  Good riddance 2020!!!!
In the spirit of a New Year and with all of those resolutions being embraced, I thought I would post a healthy recipe that has ended up being one of our family's favorites.  Never being very fond of kale, I was determined to find a recipe that would be agreeable with us all.  It seems as though kale salads and soups have become quite popular over the past few years.  Avery, our oldest daughter, was telling me about the "best" kale salad she had while living in Boulder, Colorado.  I immediately googled it and I found the recipe to this zesty and spicy salad she was telling me about.  In my research I learned this recipe is from the executive chef and co-owner Steve Redzikowski’s, of The Oak restaurant in Boulder and is a hot item on their menu.  
Have you eve heard of messaging your kale?  Well, apparently that's a real thing.  As I've learned, kale is quite tough and fibrous and can be difficult to chew compared to other greens like romaine lettuce or spinach.  By massaging it for as little as 2-3 minutes with a little oil and/or lemon juice, it becomes more tender, making it easier to chew and digest.  The other reason is to infuse the kale with more flavor before the dressing is added.  
How to Massage Kale:
Add chopped kale to a large bowl and top with lemon juice and olive oil. Use clean hands to massage for about 3 minutes to soften the leaves and infuse the leaves with the oil and lemon. A pinch of salt added near the end of massaging adds even more flavor.
You’ll notice that by the end of massaging the kale gets quite glossy and is slightly reduced in volume. That’s exactly what you’re going for.  Interesting process for sure.
To change things up, I sometimes substitute the apple with sliced pear and I will use blue cheese instead of the parmesan.  Also, to make this a healthier salad, I will just add sliced almonds, bypassing the candying with sugar.  The main event in this salad dressing is shichimi togarashi or it's also known as Japanese seven-spice seasoning.  Spices includes chilies, sesame, orange, nori flakes (seaweed) and more. It will add a bit of a spicy kick, so use sparingly and I've found that if I let it sit in the olive oil for too long it can get almost too spicy.  I've not heard of togarashi before and couldn't find it in our local grocery stores, so I ended up ordering it on Amazon.  Togarashi is a great find and I'm using it, although sparingly, on most everything...from soups, to noodle dishes, grilled meats and seafood.  The possibilities are truly endless.  
Serves 2
3 tablespoons whole almonds (I use thin, sliced almonds)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1½ cups very thinly sliced stemmed lacinato kale (from 1 small bunch)
3 tablespoons grated Parmigian-Reggiano
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon togarashi (Japanese seven-spice blend)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 small Honey Crisp apple, very thinly sliced 
Salt and pepper to taste

To make the candied almonds: 
Heat the oven to 300° F. Bring the almonds to a simmer in a small pot of water. Immediately strain the almonds, transfer them to a baking sheet (lined with a non-stick baking mat, if you have one), and dust with the sugar.
Bake, stirring after the first 10 minutes and then again after every 5 minutes, until the sugar is hard and caramelized. It should take about 30 minutes.
Let the almonds cool (they’ll crisp as they do), then cut them into quarters.

To assemble salad:
Toss the messaged kale, cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, togarashi, and apple slices together in a large bowl until well combined. Taste and season with salt, if necessary.

**This recipe is adapted from 5280.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment