Pho - Vietnamese Soup

Pho - Vietnamese Soup
One of our favorite dishes - Pho

Friday, May 27, 2011

Truffle Potato Croquettes


This is a side dish that was inspired by some flavorful truffle potato croquettes topped on a beautifully grilled New York Strip steak David and I had at a restaurant in Ft. Worth called Angaluna's. Unfortunately, Angeluna's has since closed but my love for these flavorful croquettes will forever have me on an ongoing quest to get the recipe just like we had at Angeluna's. 


I actually have a funny story about these croquettes.  David and I were eating at Angeluna's before seeing a show at the Bass Performance Hall across the street.  I believe we were going to see Lyle Lovett.  Anyway, I had had this wonderful steak with these truffle potato croquettes before and I was so excited, my mouth was watering as the waitress set my plate in front of me.  I was going on and on to David about how excited I was to eat these potatoes that are out of this world good.  With that, I go to cut into my food and one of the croquettes goes flying off of my plate into the ladies purse that was sitting next to us. I was so bummed, but David and I were hysterically cracking up, because it was like something scripted out of a movie.  I never did tell the lady about the potato ball in her purse, but lucky her for having a tasty snack for later as a surprise.  =)



2 tablespoons milk
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped green onion
2 egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups mashed potatoes
1 TBSP truffle oil (or to taste)
1 egg, beaten
Sifted dried bread crumbs
Peanut oil, enough to fill pan 1/2-inch

Add milk, salt, pepper, chopped onion, beaten egg yolks, flour and truffle oil to mashed potatoes. Chill and then shape using an ice cream scoop. Dip in the beaten egg, then roll through bread crumbs. Fry each croquette in shallow oil until brown on all sides.

Cook's Note: Cook in small batches, giving each croquette at least 2 inches of space around it to not overcrowd the pan. This prevents the croquettes from crumbling while frying.

No comments:

Post a Comment